3.02.2010

Extroverted and Introverted

Have you ever thought about the relationship between personality and the way one learns a second language?

Based on my experiences, I strongly believe that our personalities have a strong influence on our learning styles. Basically, the best way to enhance our language abilities is to make friends who are native speakers. That is why most language learners study abroad. However, sometimes it is not easy for us in terms of our personalities.

I will assume that there are two types of personalities: extroverted and introverted. The former is more sociable, talkative and outgoing. Basically they tend to go to parties and hang out with friends actively .That is why it is easy for them to improve their language skills faster.

On the other hand, people who have introverted personalities like thinking and reading. Actually, I am typical introvert and when I meet people for the first time, I am always nervous about how to communicate with them. Furthermore, I like reading books rather than going to parties. That is why, compared to an extrovert, it is hard for me to make native-speaking friends.

According to Dr. Tim Rath, the famous writer of “Strengths Finder”, our personalities were created by environmental factors when we were teens. Therefore, it is extremely difficult for us to change them. The point is how we learn the second language in spite of an introverted personalities.

Although introverts have difficulties communicating with native people compared to extroverts, they also have advantages in enhancing their language skills effectively. Basically, they are good at reading and thinking. In my case, I make an effort to reading English books and write journals in English. This means it is easy for introverts to enhance his or her reading and writing skills.

How do you study your second language? Do you think your learning style is related to your personality?

1 件のコメント:

  1. Yes! I think my learnig style is related to my personality. But, I think everyone have both type. It is very complicated so it's difficult for me to explain in English, but may be my basic learning style is extroverted. However, I like reading books, too. So, I think everyone have mixture type.

    返信削除